9.18.2012

Food!

I tried a new recipe today.  Someone had left a couple Southern Living magazines at work, so in my few minutes of down time here and there I leafed through them looking for any recipes of interest.  Now mind you I have more recipes than I could make in 2 or 3 lifetimes---even if I made one or two new ones a day 7/365.  But does that fact keep me from collecting new ones?  Nooope.  When I see recipes I like, I can always envision myself making them, so I copy them or pull them out or save them to my hard drive.  Such was the case with these SL magazines---found some recipes that I just had to have........lol  However, once in a while I do get one or two of these stashed recipes made, and in some cases have found recipes that have gone into my repertoire of "recipes to make as many times as possible".  Anyway.  By now you're thinking "I wish she would just get to the food already!"  So here it is.  The recipe I tried was Creole-Roasted Black-eyed Peas.  Very simple. Very healthy. Very yummy.

2 cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
3 Tablespoons olive oil (I just used canola because it's what I had)
1 1/2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning

Toss the black-eyed peas with the oil and seasoning (gently!). Spread onto a cookie sheet or baking pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 55-60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes.

Now here are my notes.  You may be wondering--like I did--what on earth Creole seasoning is.  (For those of you who have known about Creole seasoning your whole life, please forgive us Yankees!)  I found it in the seasoning aisle at Walmart.  It has garlic and several kinds of pepper, and salt--not sure what else.  I think you could substitute Cajun seasoning, as they don't seem too much different. (Correct me if I'm wrong).  Also, be careful with the baking time!  The recipe says 55-60 minutes, but I should have stopped mine earlier.  I think I baked them for about 45 minutes (its harder to count when you are doing 10 min intervals), but wish I had stopped at 35 or 40 because some of mine (maybe half) were a little burned).  I will watch more carefully next time and do my own timing.

The ones that aren't dark are very yummy---crunchy with a hint of spice, a dash of heat, and salty--but not too salty.  The texture is hard to describe--a bit grainy like a bean, but crunchy like a roasted nut.  I like them because I love beans anyway, and they are incredibly healthy for you.  Its a nice change from chips and such too.  And so simple to make!  I was thinking that you could just roast them with a little salt and add them to chex mix---or any other snack mix like that.  Oh the versatility of beans.........=P  I already have them on my grocery list so I can try them again.  I want to take some to work and see how my co-workers like them.  Heh-heh-heh.......(evil chuckle).......

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment