8.03.2012

Towels








You may be wondering what on earth these are.  They are my newest craft love and the affair is in the hot and steamy stage! lol  If you are friends with me on Facebook then you already know what they are.  But for the unlightened, these are flour-sack towels that I have dyed.  I have been trying to find the right lighting to show them in all their real-life glory, but even sunlight doesn't seem to do them justice.  In  real life they are brilliant.  If you don't know what flour-sack towels are, I'm sorry. lol  They are made of light-weight, 100% cotton fabric with a slight texture (hence the slightly wrinkled look even after ironing).  They are particularly useful in the kitchen.  They dry dishes like a dream, but can also be used to cover food or as a substitute for cheesecloth for straining.  I'm sure they would work great as a barmop to wipe counters, etc, though I can't say from experience because I couldn't bring myself to use these pretties for such tasks--at least until they are old and drab.  =)  I have had such fun dyeing the plain white cloth into gorgeous colors.  I've done these 3 so far, but have about 8 more colors to try (so far!).  The dyeing process is really quite simple--just follow the instructions on the Rit bottle.  You can use your washing machine to do it all if you have it connected to hot water.  I don't have that right now, so I have been doing the dyeing in a plastic bucket using a wooden spoon for stirring.  Makes me feel rather like a mad scientist stirring up her next concoction......=P  My plan is to stencil them along the edges and shove them at people for money sell them to people who decide they can't live without them.  lol  I don't know how far I will get, but I sure am having fun, so I'll continue the love affair for a while longer.  That's the great thing about crafts.  You can have these great "love affairs", have a lot of fun, and then when you're done you just move on---and no one gets hurt (except maybe your wallet.....)!  Ok I'm done now.  Off to get some fabric medium so I can paint some towels!  =)

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! My glass magnets turned out lovely :) I love having crafty friends who can teach me how to do crafty things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those and would be interested in buying some! :)

    ReplyDelete