8.05.2012

FOOD!

Ok, on to other things.  I know!  Two posts in one day!  Well don't get used to it.  Its just a fluke today.  =)  I decided it was time for some food.  So.  This was my Sunday Dinner:

Its called Guacamole salad, and it is Scrumptious.  I discovered it after my sister and I made a trip to the library and came home with a collection of cookbooks.  I made it for dinner one night and all three of us (my 2 sisters and I) fell in love with it.  The original recipe came from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa), but my sisters and I have tweaked it to suit our tastes.  Its a gorgeous salad that can be made year-round--or whenever avocados are low enough that my wallet doesn't squeal.  =)

Guacamole Salad

5 or 6 medium tomatoes, coarsely diced (we use a lot of tomatoes in ours)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
3 avocados, cut into chunks

dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt (I used 1 1/2 teaspoon, but if you aren't a salt user this might be too much)

Combine the tomatoes, onion and beans in a bowl with the avocados on top.  The less stirring of the avocados the better.  They get mushy very easily.  Whisk the dressing ingredients together then pour over the salad.  Toss the veggies gently to coat with the dressing.  Make a pig of yourself eating as much as you can hold. 


Then for dessert..............


This is Pioneer Woman's  Chocolate Sheet Cake.  Its a version of Texas Sheet Cake, which I had never made until I made hers.  To me, what makes the cake is the frosting which is full of butter and chocolate and sugar and nuts---I could just eat it, as is, with a spoon!  Mmmm!  You can go to her site (which is very interesting and entertaining, I might add) or buy her cookbooks (this recipe is in her first one).  Here's the link: Best Chocolate Sheet Cake.  I actually made this for a get-together tomorrow evening with friends, but since it made such a big cake......and since there will only be 3 of us to eat it......I had some for my Sunday Dessert.  Well!  I had to try it before I served it to others, right?  =)

Have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment