1.11.2014

The Painted Sky

It happened as I was driving along Interstate 85 this evening.  Just going over Falls Lake I noticed the horizon starting to tinge pink and purple as the sun dropped low.  I thought how pretty it was and wished, as usual, that I had my camera.  I don't know when I'm going to learn to throw that little thing in my bag when I go out.  That's why I have a little camera---to have something more portable.  Anyway, I didn't have it with me.  Not that there was any place at that moment to stop and take pictures anyway.  It's not the best move to stop on an interstate bridge and get out to take a few photos! Not to mention you would probably get a ticket---if you survived! lol  So I kept driving East, snatching glances in my mirror and over my shoulder, wishing I had someone else to do the driving so I could look.  A few miles later, though, was where it got really amazing.  Suddenly the sky had taken on an orange glow.  Not just down near the horizon either!  The sky was full of puffy clouds left over from the rain storms that had blown through earlier in the day.  In fact it was still raining off and on.  So the orange glow from the horizon spread upwards until it seemed like the entire Western sky was glowing.  As if a huge fire was burning---one big enough to light up the sky.  And still, down along the horizon were the purples from earlier.  Against it all were the silhouettes of all the trees--black against all that light.  It was Incredible! It has been a while since I saw such a spectacular sunset.  I could hardly keep driving.  I wanted so badly to get off the road and just gaze.  Well, what I really wanted to do was get off the road and get a camera in my hands and hold the shutter button down on "continuous"!  =)  Finally my exit came up.  As I drove off the highway I noticed the exit ramp had a nice wide shoulder---just what I needed!  I couldn't take it anymore.  I could NOT keep driving and leave that amazing sunset un-enjoyed.  So I pulled off, rolled down my window and just sat their looking back.  And then, another beauty:  In the East, a rainbow!  There must have been just enough light at the right angle through the rain.  So I sat between the fire in the West and the colors in the East---rather like watching a natural color guard.  It was food for the soul.  I wish you could have seen it.  I kept thinking I should go, but I couldn't.  It was too beautiful.  It was that kind of beauty that really leaves you speechless---or I should say "wordless".  You can try to tell about it, but the right words just aren't available.   After a few minutes the rainbow was gone and the color was beginning to fade, so I tore myself away---albeit with a few parting glances back.  Incredible. Magnificent. Awesome.  I'm glad I was there to see it.  I wish you could have seen it.  I wish I'd had my camera.........=) 

1 comment:

  1. I definitely know that feeling! At least you described it for us so we can imagine its majestic wonderfulness. :-)

    ReplyDelete