1.09.2014

Homemaking (Vent!!)

I'm tired of something.  Well, if you want to know I'm tired of lots of things.  But for this post I'm tired of this one thing:  I'm tired of mothers being belittled for choosing to stay home to raise their children and run their home.  Why exactly would you belittle someone for this?  I think maybe it stems from jealousy.  Women who want to stay home, but cannot are jealous of those who choose that.  I'm not sure.  I hate to hear it though.  Almost every day I wish I could stay at home and make my home.  Sure, I'm the only one here right now, but I still wish it.  I am happiest when I am home creating something.  People ask what I would do if I didn't work.  Do you have all day?  I would grow food and flowers, I would can fruit and veggies and jam and sauces, I would make soap and cheese, I would sew, I would cook my way through cookbooks, I would craft more, (including put more inventory in my shop), and  I would decorate my house for the seasons appropriately (instead of leaving the St Patrick's Day decoration on the door all year, like I did this past year. No lie!  Put up after Valentine's Day 2013, still on there today. Laugh away!  It would be funny if it weren't so sad! lol).  That is just my starting list.  I don't even have a family and I want to stay home, so why shouldn't a woman in her right mind want to stay home and raise her children and run her home??  I know there are many many women who wish they could do this, but cannot.  There are others who could do this and choose not to.  But there are women who have this choice available and actually choose to do it.  And just this week I listened to someone essentially say a cousin of hers was wasting her life and her college education by staying home.  Makes me mad!!  Personally, I think it's grand.  I don't know this woman, but apparently she is turning into quite the old-fashioned homemaker: homeschooling, venturing into canning and soapmaking, etc.  I want to applaud her and tell her "You go for it, girl!"  And I'm just a wee bit jealous that she has this opportunity.  =)  Please don't think I am criticizing anyone when I say this, but I think we would be a whole lot better off if we had more homemaking going on these days.  We have lost something by us women not caring for/taking pride in our homes.  Women are the center of the family/home and when we don't take that job seriously our entire culture is affected.  I really believe that.  Look around.  Again, I am not criticizing whatever has been your choice.  These are my opinions here.  But when you meet someone who has chosen to be a homemaker and works hard at it, please don't hate.  Homemaking is an important career!
Ok, I'm done.  For now.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment