4.23.2013

New Food

I was going to post yesterday--and forgot!  Imagine! Me, forgetting something!  I know, it almost never happens.  I guess it has to happen to the best of us.  lol  Anyway, I had a 3-day weekend and I was a cookin' fool--at least for me.  I actually tried 3--three!--new recipes.  The first was a cauliflower pizza crust and it wasn't anything to get excited about.  Highly disappointing!  You used grated cauliflower, lightly steamed in the microwave, as the base, mixed it with cheese and egg and then baked.  After which you just top like regular pizza and bake just long enough to cook the toppings.  It wasn't horrible, just not great.  Won't be going in the file.  But the other 2 recipes..........whooee.  Fab-O!  I know, that's not a word, but today, here in my world, it is. =)  Anyway.  Recipe #2 was a cinnamon roll swirl cake.  If you go to my boards on Pinterest, it's there.  You can also find it here.  It's a cake that tastes like cinnamon rolls.  The cake texture is dense and not too sweet--which is a good thing, because you swirl it through with this sticky, buttery, gooey cinnamony mixture.  To top it off, when it comes out of the oven you pour a glaze icing over top--just like you would on cinnamon rolls.  Oh so yummy!  Then there is the bacon.  Recipe #3 for the weekend.  Candied bacon to be precise.  Oh.My.Goodness.  How did I get to be this old without making this before?  I had seen recipes for it a couple times before in my online travels, just never made it.  Why?!  Well, I suppose it's really a good thing I haven't done it before because I really might be 300lbs by now with a completely shot gallbladder! lol  This stuff is that good.  I could hardly stop eating it.  And so simple!  Just bacon dredged in brown sugar (don't you just love the sound of something being dredged in brown sugar?) and then baked.  You can add pepper or any other spice you might like, or you can just do it plain.  Place on a rack that has been placed over a cookie sheet (with edges mind you!) and put in the oven at 350 for 20-25 min.  You don't want to do it too long because the sugar will just burn.  But you don't want it to be too floppy when you take it out or it will be soggy after it cools.  You want it somewhere in the middle--stiff and caramelly (not a word either. I know.  But it's my blog after all).  Take it out and beg yourself to not taste it until it cools.  Hot bacon and sugar--not friendly to the tongue!  Then after it cools and you have a taste, you will have to beg yourself to stop so you won't be sick! lol  Such simple ingredients for such a tasty snack.  It would be great as an appetizer for a party.  So there you have it.  My New Food weekend.  It was such fun.  Now if I just had more time for all the other gazillion recipes I want to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment