4.18.2013

Mowing Season

The mowing has begun.  I think I should start planning an annual party event to coincide with the mowing season.  Kind of like Fat Tuesday before Lent. lol  Because once the mowing begins there is very little stopping until it gets hot hot--like July.  I even thought I could have my guests all bring a mower and everyone make a round before dinner.  I mean, one round on the yard is not too much to ask for a table full of food and drinks with a fire afterwards is it?  Think I would get any takers?  Really, I don't mind the work so much.  The hardest part is trying not to get stressed thinking about what needs done.  If I could just keep telling myself 'it will get done one piece at a time', I'd be ok.  But I tend to not do that, so consequently end up feeling pressed sometimes.  Also, it does take a lot of time, so that means very little time for hobbys and other likes.  BooHoo.  But the actual work?  I really don't mind it.  People are always telling me "Girl you need to get a riding mower."  Yea yea, I hear ya.  But I don't for 2 reasons.  First off, I've never had a rider so don't know a thing about upkeep, and it's not as if I have a resident handy man to do it.  I do, however, know enough about machines to know that if you don't know how to keep them up, you might as well not waste your money to buy them in the first place because you ain't gonna have 'em long!  Besides, I don't have a trailer to haul it to anyone who does know how to take care of it---and I really don't think my explanation of "Officer, I was just drivin' this here mower over to Bubba's place for upkeep" is going to hold much weight in the ticket-not-issued department! lol So that's the first line of reasoning.  Secondly--and most importantly, I might add--is the fact that having 2 acres of grass to mow with a push mower is rather like having a drill sergeant trainer who is at your door every.single.day. making you get out there and sweat!  Without the mowing my exercise program is......well, non-existant.  I never have been good about a long-term "exercise diet".  It's sad, I know.  But there's the truth of it.  I know I need it.  I'll be the first to tell you that.  Not just for cardio exercise/body health, but mental/emotional health too.  Me especially. (Stop nodding your head!)  But really, I  feel a lot better emotionally when I've had some good exercise. However. When I come home after a shift at the dialysis unit, the very LAST thing I want to do is excercise.  So I don't.  Until the Mowing season.  Then there is no choice but to get myself out there and cut that grass.  Because ain't nobody else gonna cut it---unless I'm willing to fork over nearly $100 every time.  And there is a whole lotta craft stuff I can buy with all those $100's!  I mean, in the Spring here I would be doing that at least every 3 weeks and maybe every 2!  No. Way.  So.  From now until July I will be having nearly daily dates with my little red mower.  Maybe I should name it Fred.  lol  Muscle tone and mental health here I come!  (Yes, I know that my mental difficulties need way more than a red mower!  You needn't rain on my parade so soon!) See ya round the yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment