7.22.2013

sine cera

Do you like word stories?  I do!  You know, how we got to use certain words or phrases.  My grandpa used to have some interesting phrases---some of which I never heard anywhere else.  This past week I was listening to something on the radio--or half listening I should say.  I play the radio sometimes and don't really listen.  I was doing just that this time, but something jumped out and grabbed my attention.  The speaker was talking about sine cera.  I was intrigued.  Apparently in Roman times sculptors or others that dealt in works or pieces of marble would sometimes try to pass off less than perfect pieces by filling in the cracks and crevices with colored wax.  With time or heat that wax would melt or fall out, revealing the defects.  So, the phrase "sine cera" began to be used, meaning "without wax".  Maybe by customers wanting a quality product, or maybe by dealers wanting a quality reputation.  When said together what word do those two sound like?  You're right!  So smart you are!  Sincere.  Without wax.  Pretty good description of someone who is "sincere" don't you think?  Now there is some argument about where our word sincere actually comes from, and some believe this origin is just a myth.  But I believe that sometimes myths are based somewhere in real life, so I wonder....  Regardless, sine cera is still a good way to be:  without wax.  If we try to fill in or mask our "flaws and fissures" with the "wax" that is available in this broken down world of ours, it's all gonna melt away when life gets hot, and we'll be seen for the mess we really are.  Instead we have to have God's grace to transform our lives, change them into something quality.  Quality made clear through, not just filler on the surface.  Sine cera.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting topic!... Have to admit, you had me at 'sine cera' and I had to look it up, and then read your blog post here. Word origins have always been interesting to me... but the parallel to God's grace is spot on!

    ReplyDelete