11.08.2012

Recipe Review

This is the kind of post I would like to put up more often!  I long to have more time in the kitchen, but other supposedly more important things take up so much of my time.  What could be more important than being able to try new recipes every day? lol  Anyway.  I have gone through a few of my cookbooks and written down on a sheet of paper (one for each book) the I-must-make-or-be-unfulfilled-in-life recipes.  =)  The list for each book is then tucked inside the front cover waiting for the moment when I simply have to try a new recipe.  Saves me pawing through book after book trying to find The One that strikes me (passing over the Chicken-Fried Elk and Sauteed Frog Legs with Teriyaki Glaze) until I'm tired and no longer in the cooking mood!  I have considered just picking out a book at random and taking its list one by one until its done.  You know, a Random Recipe Challenge.  But that is a little difficult because sometimes I'm not in the mood for some "foreign"(to me, I'm not bashing ethnic dishes here!) Chicken Tortilla Casserole, but rather a new delicious dessert (its usually about the sugar here, ok).  But then other times I need a great new savory dish for a potluck and am not so in need of something like Caramel Praline Brownies.... (Although how could I ever NOT be in need of such a thing?!)  So I'm thinking the pick and choose according to my mood thing might work best for me.  I mean, where else in life can you pick and choose according to your mood?  =)  And by now you're thinking "I wish she would just go on and get to the Recipe Review already!!"  Ok!Ok!  I'm going.  Don't be so pushy.  Its better for your blood pressure if you take like a little easy now and then!

The recipe is called Coconut Crunch Delight and it really is a Delight.  I made it and took it to work.  No reason, just because I wanted to.  (Of course if you despise coconut, then I'm sorry.  This is definitely not your recipe day!)  Its simple to put together, and is light and fluffy and delicious!  So yummy, in fact, that I have been informed that I must make more and take it to work. =)  Here's the recipe:

Coconut Crunch Delight

1/2 c (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 c flour
1 1/4 c flaked coconut
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1 c slivered (I used sliced) almonds
1 package (3.4oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 package (3.4 oz) instant coconut cream pudding mix
2 2/3 c cold milk
8 oz whipped topping (Cool Whip)

Combine first 5 ingredients; press lightly into a 13 x 9 in. pan.  Bake at 350degrees for 25-30 min or until golden brown, stirring every 10 min to make coarse crumbs.  Cool.  Divide in half; press one half into the 13 x 9 pan again.  Beat pudding mixes and milk (you want really cold milk and whisk pudding until it thickens good).  Fold in Cool Whip; spoon over crust. Top with remaining crumbs. Cover and refrigerate overnight.  (I don't think you would have to refrigerate overnight)

YUM-O!  Try it.  Soon.  =)
~~taken from Taste Of Home Annual Recipes 1997

1 comment: