10.18.2013

The Blonde and The Beautiful

What a gorgeous day!  Before noon we had rain and fog and mist---the kind of weather I have come to associate with Maine and learned to love.  And because we come here so often, I don't get antsy when it rains during our vacation time---first of all because we have seen many places multiple times, so if we don't get to see it this time, it's ok; and secondly, I have learned that stormy days in Maine often mean the sea will be wild and joyous---truly a sight to behold!!  So rainy days are ok.  But today was not all rain.  Along about Noon the rain disappeared, along with the clouds, and the sun burst out, complete with Fall clouds and blue sky.  The temp was about 60 as well, which made for a perfect day to be outside.  So off we went for an afternoon of shopping in Bar Harbor.  Bar Harbor is a great place for strolling and browsing.  There are, of course, the obligatory souvenir-type shops that one always finds in tourist places (though I must say, the souvenirs in Bar Harbor are mostly tasteful), but there are also a lot of other shops with highly interesting inventory.  WindowPanes is a good example.  I always love going in there.  It's mostly a kitchen and table shop with interesting linens, beautiful dishes and all kinds of kitchen gadgets, but there is also a nice array of gifty-type things.  So fun to browse through.  Then there is the Katahdin gallery where Steve Bart has his photos (find him online at www.katahdinphotogallery.com).  Breathtaking is one word that comes to mind.  I like to go in there because the beautiful photos feed the photographer part of my soul.  =)  There is also the food.  Lobster? Salmon? Swordfish? Steak?  It's all there, as well as places to get yummy ice cream and fudge. (We bought Maple Walnut and Penuchi Nut. Yum!!)  There is one place, though, that has captured our palates and hearts above all others.  That is Galyn's.  Years ago,  my sister Mary and I went in there on a whim, and we've been going back ever since.  The place itself has a very pleasant, slightly upscale ambience, and it's situated so that you can look out at Bar Harbor proper while you eat (interesting boats and, if you're lucky, a cruise ship or two).  In the Fall there is a large maple tree right across the street that is ablaze with color, and if you are there in the late afternoon (as we were), the sun shines on that tree, the fluttering Flag next to it and the boats in the harbor.  A stunning sight for the digestive juices!  Digestive juices that will, I might add, be flowing freely after you see and taste the food!  =)  So good.  I usually order the Lobster Linguini.  Sauteed lobster with fresh tomatoes and basil on a bed of linguini.  Simple but delicious.  And easy, since the lobster is all pulled from it's shell for you.  Are you hungry yet?  =)  Overall, it's just a really nice dining experience, and we look forward to it every year.  Then this evening, after our dining, the moon obliged us by coming up, huge and full right over the harbor---just as a cruise ship came into view below, all lit up for the night.  How cool is that?  It really was gorgeous.  I would post a picture, but I can't.  I know, I know! Those of you who know me cannot believe I have no pictures.  Well, here's where the 'blonde' part of this post comes in.  This morning I had my memory card in the computer to move pictures from card to computer..........You can see where this is going, can't you?  Yep, you guessed it.  I left the memory card in.the.computer.  Can you believe that???!  Don't answer that! lol  So there I was, with the beautiful sunshine on trees and boats and flag, and then that fantastic moon scene, and a camera with NO memory card!!  Panic nearly set in! And what's worse, this is the second time I have done this on this vacation! Yesterday when Mary and I went walking I went to take a picture, no memory card. I couldn't believe I had done that then, so when I did it again today, I was really, really in shock!  I have never, ever done that before!  I have forgotten an extra battery before, but never, ever, my memory card!  I could not believe it!  What is going on?!  I think it must have all started when I booked the wrong dates for my tickets.  The blonde genes started churning then and just never stopped, so by now they are at high tide! lol  So.  Tonight when we got home I put the card directly in the camera and told the rest of the gang to remind me about the memory card before we go out tomorrow--just in case it slipped out in the night for some reason! lol  At present there is a large note on the door going out to remind the blonde one to make sure she has all her proper gear!  Maybe one of these days I'll get it together, though I'm not going to hold my breath!  In the meantime, I'm lovin' Maine! (Just lacking in pictures! lol) Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment