10.17.2013

Maine

Back again---to Maine, that is.  Back to the land of the first sunrise in the nation, crashing waves, solid rocks, and natural serenity at its best.  It's become a habit with us, a craving deep in the soul that starts its calling to us for the next dose nearly as soon as we finish the current one.  Like crack, only with much deeper meaning. =)  We've been coming here so many years I have lost count.  Sometimes we think about seeing other places, but when seeing other places means giving up our annual feast of Maine, most times we just can't do it.  I cannot really describe what Maine does for us, but if you've ever had a place that made you feel at peace every time you went there, then you can understand pretty well. 

This year, the adventure started early.  Well, I started early, I should say!  I discovered the night before I left home that I had booked my trip a day early......Oy!  I always knew I would do something like this one day! lol  Somehow I got the wrong set of dates in my head.  I don't know how that happened as I hardly ever get things mixed up!  (You really needn't be smiling so knowingly!)  Anyway, off I flew to Maine on Tuesday instead of Wednesday.  The trip went without a hitch and I was even able to stay at the old hotel we used to always stay at in our earlier visits.  So many memories there!  If you are ever in Southwest Harbor and need a place to sleep, check out the Harborview Motel.  There are few amenities and the rooms would definitely be considered out of date and rustic, but they are inexpensive and always have the freshest sheets and towels.  It's a place to sleep, not to hang out.  Anyway, back to the adventure.  Wednesday found me with most of a day to kill before the rest of the gang could get there.  What does a gal do to kill time?  Why shopping, of course!  I shopped till I dropped! lol  So handy that there is an LL Bean outlet here, as well as a nice big Goodwill...... Let's just say, I may have to send some stuff home with my sisters for me to pick up when I fly home for Thanksgiving! (I'll have an extra suitcase then.)  =)  It was quite fun, actually.  Other years I have wished to prowl about some of the shops in town, but have not wanted to take vacation and together time to do it.  But this year because of my blonde behavior I had ample time to do so!  Isn't it amazing how sometimes God takes our mistakes and turns them into something good and fun?  I even timed the shopping just right and landed at Walmart just as the rest of our "gang of girls" arrived.  How cool is that?  We had a rather large list, so decided to divide and conquer.  We split into 3 and rounded up the victuals.  For once we were quite organized---a proud moment to be sure!  =)  We piled 3 cart-loads into my rented Silver Sonic---a sight to behold---and headed off to The House.  For years we rented a cottage from Harborview and while they were quite cozy, there were no laundry facilities nor internet service.  Last year we decided to "upgrade" and rented a house.  It's a wonderfully cozy place complete with fireplace and old-fashioned claw foot tub (not to mention washer/dryer, full kitchen and wi-fi!).  We enjoyed it so much last year, we rented it again.  So last year we met a new "friend" and this year we came to our vacation "home".  =)  One of the first orders of business after unloading the cars was to go in search of wood---priorities, dontcha know---and get the fire started.  We spend a bit of money on wood (because it's just easier than bringing a chainsaw! lol)  But it's cheap entertainment and so pleasant besides.  So our evening was spent in front of the crackling fire, eating (of course!), and beginning the relaxing that only happens when one is on "holiday".  What will happen next?  I have no idea, and don't really care.  Just being back in Maine is wonderful enough.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment